5 April 2011

I come forth soliciting your advice. Lots of you, whom I admire, have considerably more experience in this field than I do, and I hope that you might indulge me by offering a little feedback. My relatives have been suggesting that I begin printing and selling my card designs for years now, and I have seemingly relented. As I have mentioned, I am a relatively unsure sort of individual, and so I am questioning this enterprise on various accounts:

  • Firstly, the name - Quaint Fancies? Good? Bad?
  • Banner - any good?
  • But, most importantly, do you think that anyone would even buy my artwork (in card format)? How can I improve and amend them? Samples:

(All my designs are coming out exceedingly twee recently)

I would be incredibly grateful for any kind of advice that you could give to me.

Thank you xxx

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I am also an emerging illustrator with a short experience in this, but I really think that your works are cute and absolutely eligible to be sold: You should just start promoting yourself and opening an account in Etsy and/or Pingg for example, have a little patience, and I'm sure your sales will come. ^_^

    I seriously encourage you to continue with this, the most important thing is that you enjoy it! :)

    ...and if you let me give you an advice on your designs, I would try to make the lettering more powerful... just that. The characters are so cute.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so, so much, Eva! It's so sweet and kind of you to give me such valuable feedback - I am incredibly grateful to you.

    Your work is absolutely magnificent
    Best wishes, x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the girl above. You could SO sell your things, they're lovely! Maybe you could also go around town and see if there are giftshops or something like that that might want to sell your cards. It's so very English in a Beatrix Potter kind of way, I'm sure there are places that sell things in this style over there! ALso, little art shops or maybe libraries might want to exhibit your work, if you're looking for it. You're totally good enough to be an illustrator! Ever thought about making a children's book? I would be happy to give you feedback, always. Do email/message me if you have questions! I'm no pro either but working on it, and I guess I do have some years of art school experience.
    I agree about the typography, more powerfull would be good, but the basics are very great, not a lot of people, even very good illustrators can do good typographical things. And you can.

    Btw, I just put you in my links on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heart you, Anneke. You are in my links too :) My mum has always suggested doing a children's book, but I have yet to come up with any original ideas. I love illustrated children's books so much though - I wish I could volunteer in the library again.

    ReplyDelete